Monday, April 21, 2014

Citrus Mango Ceviche


While I was vacationing in Costa Rica, I probably ate a family of four's share of ceviche. It was made fresh and was just so dang refreshing after an afternoon lounging around under the hot Costa Rican sun. It was a warm weekend here in Southern California, which made me think back to last week while I was still on vacation. I miss Costa Rica and wished I was back. So, what's a girl to do? Make ceviche then lay out in the sun! Ceviche is simple to make, yet packs a ton of flavor. I knew I wanted to combine the tartness of citrus with the sweetness of mangoes. Next, I had to decide on the type of seafood protein. I went with pink snapper and shrimp. Although, scallops sounded delicious as well. You can mix and match any white fish with this recipe and it would be delicious. I purchased a whole fish and tried my hand at filleting it myself, which I found, I am not really good at. I butchered the fish, but you'd never know that after throwing everything together. HAHA 

Citrus Mango Ceviche (with Pink Snapper and Shrimp)
What you'll need:
  • 2 medium snapper (or other white fish) filets, chopped
  • 1/2 cup shrimp (peeled and de-veined), chopped
  • juice of 2 limes
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1 medium ripe mango, diced
  • 1 tsp jalepeno, finely diced
  • 3 mini sweet peppers, finely diced
  • 1/2 small red onion, finely diced
  • 2 TBSP cilantro, chopped
  • salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
  • splash of coconut milk (optional)
What to do:

  1. Roughly chop the fish and shrimp into even sized chunks. Toss the fish and shrimp with the lime and lemon juices. Make sure there is enough juice to cover the seafood mixture. Add more if necessary. Cover and let it stand in the fridge for an hour. The acid from the citrus will "cook" the mixture.
  2. In a separate bowl, toss together the mango, jalapeno, peppers, onion and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. After an hour, remove the seafood mixture from the fridge and spoon it into the bowl with the mango mixture. I had quite a bit of juice and I didn't want to water down my ceviche. Toss to coat. 
  3. A splash of coconut milk would be perfect, but is completely optional. Serve with plantain chips. Noms.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

See What Else I'm Cooking

Powered by Blogger.