Asian Braised Oxtail/Short ribs
What you'll need:
- 2-3 lbs beef oxtail, ribs, or short ribs
- 5 tbsp gluten free tamari or coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1-2 tbsp chinese five spice + 1/2 tsp for sauce
- 1.5 tsp FlavorGod Garlic Lovers (or use garlic powder)
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups beef/chicken stock (I used homemade)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 6-8 oz dried shiitake mushrooms (fresh would be okay too)
- 2-3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 one inch piece of peeled ginger
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 300F. Pat the beef dry. Season all sides with 1-2 tbsp chinese 5 spice, a couple large pinches of salt and fresh cracked black pepper. In a cast iron pot, heat 2 tbsp of fat of choice over medium high heat. Working in batches as to not overcrowd the pot, sear the beef on each side (about 1-2 minutes each side). Remove and set aside.
- Add the ginger and garlic, scraping the bottom for the browned bits. Add the tarmari/coconut aminos, mirin, honey, paprika, 1/2 tsp chinese 5 spice, garlic powder, white pepper, and dried mushrooms to the pot. Stir. Place the beef back into the pot. Add the stock and the dried mushrooms.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover with an oven proof lid and place in the oven to bake for 2.5-3 hours. After 3 hours, remove from the oven and place the pot on the stove. Remove the cover and bring the stew to a simmer over medium heat. Allow the sauce to thicken for 25-30 minutes over medium heat.
- Serve with chopped green onions (optional) over rice or cauliflower rice (for low carb/paleo) and your favorite sauteed veggie (I served mine with bok choy).