Monday, March 10, 2014

Thai Red Pineapple Curry


I meal prep during the weekend so I'm not staring at the fridge for 20 minutes deciding on what to make when I get home. This week, I felt lazy, so what do I make when I'm feeling lazy? Curry! It's super simple and so versatile. I purchased the curry paste from my local asian market (Aroy-D brand), simmered some protein in a combination of stock and coconut milk and added some veggies. Boom, Done!

Thai Red Pineapple Curry
What you'll need:

  • 1-1.5 lbs boneless/skinless chicken breast or thighs, diced
  • ~1.5 cups pineapple chunks, drained
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, cut in strips
  • 1 medium green bell pepper, cut in strips
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 inch cube of ginger, minced
  • 2 TBSP red curry paste
  • 1 13.5 oz can full fat coconut milk
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 3-4 Kaffir lime leaves
  • handful thai basil
  • 2-3 thai chilies (will be spicy, optional)
  • 1 cup eggplant, diced (optional)
  • 1/2 cup bamboo shoots (optional)
  • salt or fish sauce to taste
What to do:
  1. In a pot, heat about 2 TBSP oil (I used olive) over medium heat. Add the minced garlic, ginger, and thai chilies (if using). Saute until fragrant.
  2. Add the curry paste and stir, breaking it up and coating the ginger, garlic, and chilies. Add the chicken and stir. Then add the peppers (eggplant and bamboo shoots too, if using). Once the chicken is mostly cooked through. Deglaze with the coconut milk. Stir.
  3. Add the chicken stock, Kaffir lime leaves and thai basil. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and turn down the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
  4. After about 20 minutes, add the pineapple chunks (you could add a few TBSP of the juice too). Stir and let it come to a simmer and allow to bubble for another 5 minutes. 
  5. Remove lime leaves prior to serving. Season with salt or fish sauce, to taste. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

See What Else I'm Cooking

Powered by Blogger.