Monday, January 30, 2017

Crab Cake Salad


The other day, while strolling the aisles of my local Trader Joe's, I came across lump crab meat in the freezer section. Without a lick of hesitation, I grabbed a box and headed straight for checkout (I already had way too many unnecessary items in my basket). I can't say no to a good crab cake. One of my favorite brunch menu items are Crab Cake Benedicts, if a restaurant has got them, I'm ordering them. Anyway, I threw together a bunch of seasonings and a few binders and voila! I made myself some crab cakes. I had some leftover potato wedges from the night before, so I warmed those up in a pan and threw those on top of my salad. If you've never had a warm potato salad, I must insist you try it! You won't be disappointed. 

Crab Cake Salad

What you'll need:
  • 8 oz lump crab meat
  • 1 whole egg
  • 1 heaping tbsp mayonnaise (I used Chosen Food's new Harissa Avocado Mayo)
  • 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tsp dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne
  • 1/2 tsp dried dill
  • 3/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp dried parsley
  • 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 tbsp green bell pepper, finely minced
  • 1/3 cup almond flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt + 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • salad greens
  • potato wedges or cubes, or even tator tots
  • feta cheese (optional)
What to do: 
  1. In a bowl, whisk together the egg, mayo, lemon juice, dijon mustard, chili powder, cayenne, dill, parsley, and garlic until combined. Stir in the lump crab meat, bell pepper, and cilantro until just coated. Add the almond flour and salt and pepper. Stir to combine. 
  2. Use an ice cream scoop to evenly divide the crab mixture. Roll into a ball and carefully flatten into a disk (use a light touch). Set them aside on a plate. I was able to make four 2.5-3 inch crab cakes. Heat a cast iron or other heavy bottom pan with olive oil (or ghee!) over medium heat. 
  3. Carefully place the crab cakes into the pan and let them cook about 8-10 minutes on medium low. Cover the pan after about 4-5 minutes. Remove the lid and flip. Cook for another 8-10 minutes or until the cakes have browned. 
  4. Serve atop a bed of salad greens, with warmed potatoes and feta cheese. Toss with your favorite dressing, or just a lemon wedge!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

See What Else I'm Cooking

Powered by Blogger.